Port Macquarie Surf School is a “Huddo” Operation. It Began its journey owned and operated by the well-known and respected, father and sons team of Peter, Wayne and Grant Hudson. Surf lessons started in 1981 with Peter Hudson being one of the first surf schools in Australia, offering surf lessons as a hobby and weekend job for just $5!
In 2001 Peter, Wayne and Grant decided to combine their surfing skills and knowledge and Port Macquarie Surf School was born. The boys expanded the surf school offering surf lesson 7 days a week to locals, holiday makers, and our local schools as a part of their school sport program.
All three Huddos were born in Port Macquarie and are handy surfers in their own right with a stack of Aussie and State Titles under their belts. With over 90 years of surfing and just on 50 years of combined coaching experience. Learning to surf as Flynn’s beach with the Huddo’s soon became an icon for Flynns Beach, Port Macquarie’s, with many families coming back to surf each year with the Hudson family on their family holidays.
Recently the beaches of Port Macquarie were voted the 4th most beautiful beaches in the world. Flynn’s beach, Town beach and Rainbow beach in particular offer us with an amazing location for beginners and early intermediates having protected rolling waves, perfect for getting the basics and learning in gentle forgiving waves.
In recent years, Peter (father) decided it was time to hand the reins over to his son Wayne, daughter in law Amy and their young family Ollie, Eli and Pippa, to continue to share our families’ passion of surfing with others.
Since taking ownership of Port Macquarie Surf School we have continued to grow and diversify our business, still specializing in surf lessons, but including hire boards and now selling Port Macquarie Surf school surfboards.
Wayne and I look forward to watching the full circle go round and have our children work with us one day, sharing our families’ passion of surfing. From our family to yours we look forward to surfing with your soon.
Our Point of difference
- Port Macquarie Surf School is Port Macquarie’s award winning surf school.
We are Port Macquarie’s longest running surf school. This means wehave the years of experience needed to teach all levels of ability and ages.Best Coach to student ratio which means a more hands on approach to your safety, enjoyment and surf skills.
- Port Macquarie Surf School is a Surfing Australia Surf School. It is a privilege to run a surf school under this banner as Surfing Australia is the leaders in surfing in our country. It is the governing body for the sport of surfing and endorsed by the Australian sports commission. Surfing Australia has been the governing body for surfing in Australia since 1963 and is a non-profit organization that keeps a close eye on safety and the quality of coaching within its network of surf schools.
- Port Macquarie Surf School employs highly qualified surf Instructors. Our coaches are fully qualified with Surfing Australia (Australia’s National Governing Body for the sport of Surfing) holding as a minimum their current Level 1 Surf Instructor qualification.
- All coaches are either professional Lifeguards or volunteer lifesavers – and avid surfers meaning they know our waves and beaches.
- Each instructor also holds a number of current lifeguard/ lifesavingqualifications – minimum of Bronze medallion or APOLA
- Apply first aid certificate.
- New South Wales Working with Children Clarence.
- They are all highly skilled in communicating their knowledge in a way that is easy to understand and put into practice during your lessons with us.
Our vision and mission
To provide the best value surf lessons in a fun and safe environment.
Instill the thrill of riding the waves so that our customers continue to surf with us
from the beginning to beyond………………
To share our passion and knowledge of surfing with others, so we can see the
smile of joy on our surfers faces as they catch their first wave.
To educate our surfers about surf awareness, surf safety and surf etiquette
To make our beaches a safer palce.